My (2nd) Favorite Meal of the day!

Ok I'll start with the shameless, plug. Shakeology is obviously my favorite meal of the day, and I mean that with complete sincerity. Its quick, I love the taste I feel better when drink it .

However, if you were to ask anyone in the Mancave what their favorite meal is I can say with 100% certainty that everyone would say Breakfast!

Of course as the CCO (Chief Cooking officer) I would like to think its because I followed in my Mothers footsteps of the big family weekend breakfast. There is much talk about the family dinner table and bringing everyone together during the week, and I get it its good to get face time all together in the evenings.

Let's face it though, once your kids are old enough to be in activities, in a crazy economy where working parents are stressed to perform, dinner is usually pretty quick, eaten in shifts or even on the go. This doesn't have  to mean abandoning your meal plan, we just do a lot of reheating!

The weekends though, they are priceless. It has been a calmish winter here in the mancave and with 5 very different appetites,nutritional needs,  tastebuds and attention spans Breakfast is my go to weekend meal. It can be the one meal where everyone will sit at the table for an hour, chat, be silly, share stories, and plan for the week ahead.

Sunday Dinner? Nope Sunday Breakfast! "panpakes" as S calls them, Dippy Eggs for the original princess & K-man,and of course any type of breakfast "meat" (I say this in quotes, because he hasn't quite developed a fondness for turkey or vegan breakfast "meat") for Mr. Mancave.

Aren't "panpakes" just a vessel for sugar laden syrup you aey ask? Well, yes, yes, they are, and I do allow my kids to enjoy it! However, I do make sure that the "panpakes" are a loaded with whole grains and lots of protein!

So when I jumped on the Beachbody Website today and saw this recipe I had to share it with you, its very similar to a few recipes I use ( and I say that loosely, because I never do anything exactly the way the recipe is written). These are loaded with protein, and a little fiber compared to your store box mix so they will fill everyone leaving probably a few leftovers to throw in the freezer as a quick grab n go weekday breakfast.

A few tips for the recipe if you are  just starting your health and fitness journey, ground flax seed, is also called flax meal, you can purchase it already ground. If you have family with dairy issues as we do, replace the milk with whatever milk your family prefers, I love the almond/coconut blend it just adds another flavor dimension. I am also a huge fan of coconut oil right now so I would probably use that instead of the safflower oil, and as I was cooking them I would probably throw in a handful of blueberries and Mr mancave will walk by and throw in a handful of chocolate chips.
 Hey you can't win them all!




Whole Wheat Waffles


 
 
Try these whole wheat waffles for breakfast when you need a quick meal.

Total Time: 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Yield: 11 waffles, 1 waffle per serving
Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
6 tsp. baking powder
¼ cup ground flax seed
½ tsp. sea salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups nonfat milk
2 Tbsp. safflower oil
Nonstick cooking spray
Preparation:
1. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, flax seed, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
2. Combine eggs, milk, and oil in a large bowl; mix well. Add flour mixture. Mix until blended.
3. Pour ¾ cup of batter at a time onto hot waffle iron, lightly coated with spray. Cook waffles until golden brown and crisp.
4. One serving equals one waffle; leftover waffles can be wrapped up and frozen.
Nutritional Information: (per serving)
Calories: 225
Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 69mg
Sodium: 357mg
Carbs: 34g
Fiber: 4g
Sugars: 8g
Protein: 9g


P90X/P90X2 Portions (per serving)
1½ protein
1½ fat

Body Beast Portions (per serving)
3 protein
4 fats

Comments

Popular Posts